Online Card Class – Day 1

HCW_participantDAY 1 – WHOO HOO!!

Haven’t posted in a while – life gets in the way! I decided to participate in the Holiday Card Workshop and WOW – information overload!! If you have taken one of the Online Card Classes, you know what I mean and if you are a card maker and haven’t taken one, I would highly recommend them. Each day focuses on a couple of different tips and techniques. (NOTE: My intent was to post each day and I just couldn’t make that happen. The 10 day workshop ended on Friday and I had yet to post day 1! So, I’m going to do a few posts highlighting some of what I produced during the workshop – hopefully!!)

Working really gets in the way! Each morning I devour that days class and itch to get to my craft room and start putting it to practice. Instead, I wait (not so patiently, I might add) for the weekend. Problem with that, I was truly in overload. My biggest challenge is focusing on just one thing at a time – I want to try all of them!! So, I’m going to try to post them by day and without all of the details of making them, so if you have questions, just ask! So on to DAY ONE….

HCW D1 3x3

One of the things I always forget about until the last-minute is small gift toppers. This is a 3×3 card that is perfect for that. One of the challenges presented in day 1 was coloring images. I love coloring… takes me back to school days. There is something really relaxing in it. I topped this off with Stickles on a few of the ornaments for a bit of glitz! Please don’t ask me what the ornament stamp is called…. I cheated – I had stamped the image LAST Christmas card making season and had never used it so I colored it in etc and now, I can’t find the stamp! I’m really sad cuz I really liked the stamp. I’m sure I’ll find it – if I ever straighten up my craft room!

Since I was feeling guilty about using   something that was previously stamped, I decided to make another 3×3 card (actually, I made 2 – guilt is a great motivator!)

HCW D1 3X3 HOLLY

The “pine cone” version was not technically coloring (Jeez – the guilt is going to consume me here!)  – I colored the stamp with Distress markers and then re-inked the stamp with Versamark and embossed it with clear embossing powder. After embossing, I inked over it with Vintage Photo Distress ink. In spite of using my Stamp-a-Majig, I moved slightly when I stamped with Versamark and when I inked over it, it resisted the ink and it looks like snow! Yes, of course I meant to do that… 🙂

Another challenge was to make the envelope for the small card. I love making envelopes! Once I figured out how to make them… a monster was created! The cool thing with envelopes on small cards (gift toppers – too small to go through the mail) is you can use fun patterned paper and embellishments if you like.

HCW D1 ENVELOPES CU

Fun isn’t it – and that was only part of day 1….

I think I’ll get this post up and show you the other project in another post.

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and if you have any questions, please ask!

Later,

S

Advertisements

Masculine Birthday Card

Hi, I’ve been really lax in posting new projects the last few weeks … not sure where the time goes! Anyway, I’m finally here with a new one!

I have a dear friend with a birthday today. Sadly, but par for the course, I just made his card yesterday! I should make a batch of belated birthday cards to have on hand! He is as big a baseball fan as I – if not bigger, so the choice of a baseball theme was easy. I wrote on the inside : I struck out and missed your birthday –  hope it was a GRAND SLAM! Hopefully it will make up in creativity what it lacks in punctuality!!

On to the card:  I made the card base with Kraft card stock folded to 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″.  I embossed a piece of brown card stock with my Bigshot and a Sizzix embossing folder “diamonds”. I lightly sponged it with Black Soot Distress Ink from Ranger. All of the other designer papers are from the MVP line from W R Memory Keepers.  I layered the  embossed piece on a “lightly” patterned piece (I have such a hard time covering up a great pattern!!) I would usually cut this piece about 1/4″ smaller on all sides than the base but I knew I wanted to do some faux stitching around it, so I cut it a bit smaller.

I then had fun with the patterned paper! I cut a plain piece of “typing” paper to approx 2 1/2″ by 3 3/4″. I cut the patterned paper into strip of varying widths and glued them on the diagonal to the plain paper. I trimmed off the edges and sponged them lightly with the Black Soot ink. I added brads to the 4 corners and adhered with dimensionals.  I tied hemp around and debated on having the hemp go on top of or underneath the  paper-pieced element – underneath won!  Both the brads and the hemp are from my stash of unidentified embellishments!

The baseball was stamped with a PSX stamp on white glossy card stock. I inked the stitching with a red Marvy marker and the ball with Chestnut Roan Chalk ink. I punched it out with a 1″ in punch and distressed the ball and the edges (it stood out like new white sneakers!!) with several shades of brown, blue and burgundy ink. I then covered it with Glossy Accents by Ranger. I mounted it on the same paper as the 1st layer and attached with a foam dimensional. I added my friends initials with Thickers that I sponged with the same browns, blues and burgundy ink. A little faux stitching with a white gel pen finished it off.

I’m adding this to the CAS-ual Friday Challenge this week which is to use embossing. Hope you enjoyed and that it inspires you to create!

Later,

S