Hi, I’ve been really lax in posting new projects the last few weeks … not sure where the time goes! Anyway, I’m finally here with a new one!
I have a dear friend with a birthday today. Sadly, but par for the course, I just made his card yesterday! I should make a batch of belated birthday cards to have on hand! He is as big a baseball fan as I – if not bigger, so the choice of a baseball theme was easy. I wrote on the inside : I struck out and missed your birthday – hope it was a GRAND SLAM! Hopefully it will make up in creativity what it lacks in punctuality!!
On to the card: I made the card base with Kraft card stock folded to 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″. I embossed a piece of brown card stock with my Bigshot and a Sizzix embossing folder “diamonds”. I lightly sponged it with Black Soot Distress Ink from Ranger. All of the other designer papers are from the MVP line from W R Memory Keepers. I layered the embossed piece on a “lightly” patterned piece (I have such a hard time covering up a great pattern!!) I would usually cut this piece about 1/4″ smaller on all sides than the base but I knew I wanted to do some faux stitching around it, so I cut it a bit smaller.
I then had fun with the patterned paper! I cut a plain piece of “typing” paper to approx 2 1/2″ by 3 3/4″. I cut the patterned paper into strip of varying widths and glued them on the diagonal to the plain paper. I trimmed off the edges and sponged them lightly with the Black Soot ink. I added brads to the 4 corners and adhered with dimensionals. I tied hemp around and debated on having the hemp go on top of or underneath the paper-pieced element – underneath won! Both the brads and the hemp are from my stash of unidentified embellishments!
The baseball was stamped with a PSX stamp on white glossy card stock. I inked the stitching with a red Marvy marker and the ball with Chestnut Roan Chalk ink. I punched it out with a 1″ in punch and distressed the ball and the edges (it stood out like new white sneakers!!) with several shades of brown, blue and burgundy ink. I then covered it with Glossy Accents by Ranger. I mounted it on the same paper as the 1st layer and attached with a foam dimensional. I added my friends initials with Thickers that I sponged with the same browns, blues and burgundy ink. A little faux stitching with a white gel pen finished it off.
I’m adding this to the CAS-ual Friday Challenge this week which is to use embossing. Hope you enjoyed and that it inspires you to create!